The UVM Podcast, hosted by Stephen Cieslewicz and Nick Ferguson, has the goal to spread innovative ideas and knowledge in Utility Vegetation Management. The show aims to facilitate knowledge sharing within the industry and to raise awareness of the value of the profession with the wider public. Sponsored by LiveEO.
This episode features an interview with Rob Young, Executive Director of the Registered Professional Foresters Association of Nova Scotia, and Technical Advisor to the research organization CEATI. Rob spent over 25 years developing and leading Integrated Vegetation Management (IVM) programs at Nova Scotia Power for 5,500 km of transmission and 27,000 km of distribution lines.
In this interview, we discuss the research organization CEATI, and the work it is doing to advance Utility Vegetation Management as a discipline. We cover several topics including:
- Background on CEATI
- Learning opportunities – Strategic Planning and Program Management, Technology Equipment and Products, Public and Social, Environmental Contribution
- Best Management Practices for communication about VM programs
- LiDAR, Phodar and the practical uses of satellite imagery
- Fire and weather-related risk mitigation
- Right of Ways as an asset of ecological value
- Integrated Vegetation Management (IVM) Principles
- Condition Based Management
- A brief exploration of lobster by-laws in Nova Scotia